Report number: 132/2001



Title The Western Heights, Dover, Kent. Report No. 7: North Centre and Detached Bastions: 19th-century Fortifications. Survey Report
Summary Between April and July 1998 the Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England (RCHME) carried out an archaeological survey and investigation of the remains of North Centre Bastion and Detached Bastion, part of the defences on the Western Heights at Dover in Kent. North Centre Bastion was begun as part of the Napoleonic works in 1804 but left unfinished at the end of hostilities in 1815. The completion of the work as North Centre and Detached Bastions took place between 1858 and 1867 as part of a wider scheme for the Dover defences. Both bastions supported some artillery until around 1900, after which their use for any purpose was intermittent; small scale re-occupation for local defence probably occurred in both the First and Second World Wars. The bastions are now derelict. (This was report number 28/2001 in a previous series)
Series Other
Pages 52
Authors
  • Pattison, P
Hyperlinks