Report number: 23/2016



Title Red House (formerly Framlingham Workhouse), Framlingham Castle, Suffolk
Summary This report was prepared to inform colleagues at English Heritage, who are considering potential changes at the Red House in the Inner Court of Framlingham Castle. These include the creation of a catering kitchen on the ground floor of the Red House. The Red House was built in 1664 as the parish workhouse, on the site of what were probably service rooms at the low end of the castle’s medieval Great Hall. The report sets out the building’s history, development, use and significance, especially in relation to workhouse architecture more generally. It also includes an architectural description of the Red House. In order to place the building in its proper context, the study considers Framlingham’s workhouse buildings as a whole – the Red House, the 1729 block on the site of the medieval Great Hall, and the north range, built mainly in the late 16th century and known as the White House by the early 1700s.
Series Research Department Reports
Pages 79
Authors
  • Cole, E
  • Morrison, K
Hyperlinks