Report number: 34/2007



Title St Edmund's Church, Mansfield Woodhouse, Nottinghamshire : An Assessment of the Pews
Summary St Edmund's, a medieval building, was reseated between 1848 and 1853 as part of a restoration by W B Moffatt, with high quality poppyhead bench ends, some of which are elaborately carved. This report assesses the significance of the pews as part of the decorative scheme of the church and in relation to other mid-nineteenth century church seating. It also re-attributes the nineteenth century restorations of the building to Moffatt and to T C Hine, rather than to Sir George Gilbert Scott, previously thought to have been responsible for them.
Series Research Department Reports
Pages 8
Authors
  • Minnis, J
Keywords Post Medieval
Hyperlinks