||Laverstoke Mill is a large, multi-phase paper mill near Whitchurch, north Hampshire. It operated as a paper mill between 1719 and 1963, when Laverstoke was the principal mill of the Portal family, who from 1724 held the sole contract for the manufacture of Bank of England banknote paper. Hand-made rag paper constituted the majority of the output at Laverstoke until the 1950s, although various papermaking machines were installed from the mid-19th century, notably by Bryan Donkin.
The complex comprises around forty closely-grouped buildings with an exceptional landscape setting which includes Laverstoke Park, the mill pond and the River Test.
The principal mill buildings are low-rise, red brick structures of mid-19th to mid-20th century date, with metal-framed windows and ashlar, flint or vitrified brick detailing. They remained in reasonably good condition at the time of the 2006 survey, although papermaking machinery has long been removed.
Laverstoke Mill lies within the Laverstoke and Freefolk Conservation Area and contains three grade ii -listed buildings: Mill House, Mill Cottages, and the Glazing House. The significance of Laverstoke Mill lies in the architectural interest of the buildings and its
historical association with the Bank of England. It was one of the largest and foremost hand-made paper mills in Britain.