Report number: 66/2017

Title Redlingfield Hall, Eye, Suffolk: Analytical earthwork survey
Summary Redlingfield Hall occupies the site of Redlingfield Priory, a Benedictine nunnery founded in 1120 and dissolved in 1537. An extensive fishpond complex, apparently associated, lies 300m to the west. In 2016 Historic England’s Listing Team East requested a survey of the site in order to re-evaluate the scheduling which was based upon a very brief ‘Old County Number’ description and was of limited extent. To address this analytical earthwork survey was undertaken by Historic Places Investigation Team East supplemented by further research including aerial photographic analysis and limited primary archival research. This has concluded that earthworks indicative of buried archaeological evidence survive across the site relating to both the medieval priory and fishponds and the post medieval occupation of the site, perhaps including elements of a designed landscape.
Series Research Department Reports
Pages 52
Authors
  • Alexander, M
  • Hunt, D
Keywords Aerial Photograph Interpretation ,  Aerial Photography ,  Analytical Landscape Survey ,  Geophysical Survey ,  Medieval ,  Post Medieval
Hyperlinks